EFFECTIVE DATE: March 7, 2019
Information We Collect
We may collect two types of information about you:
- Personal Information. Personal Information is information that identifies you as an individual or relates to an identifiable individual such as your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, education and employment information; and
- Other Information that does not reveal your identity or does not directly relate to an identifiable individual (such as browser and device information, demographic information and other aggregate information).
Collection of Personal Information
GBC only collects the Personal Information you have chosen to provide to us. For example, you can submit information to us by using the “Contact GBC” form, by contacting an attorney via an e-mail address provided on our Website, registering for a conference or by providing us with a business card.
Use of Personal Information
GBC uses Personal Information for the following legitimate business purposes:
- To respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests, when you contact us vie e-mail or one of our online contact forms. In this case, we will process your personal information to manage our contractual relationship with you or to comply with a legal obligation.
- When you have provided us with your consent, we may process your information to send you alerts or other information or updates that we think may of interest to you.
- Improve our website and the efficiency of our services. We engage in this processing to manage our contractual relationship with you and/or because we have a legitimate interest.
- To meet our legal and regulatory obligations.
- To improve our website and our communications with you.
Collection and Use of Other Information
When you visit our Website, we and our service providers may collect other information about you that does not relate to an identifiable individual. We use such information to manage our Website and make it more accessible and interesting for visitors. We may generally use and disclose Other Information for any purpose, except where we are required to do otherwise under applicable law. When we combine Other Information with Personal Information, we will treat the combine information as Personal Information as long as it is combined.
COOKIES AND SIMILAR TECHNOLOGIES
Cookies are small text files that a web site transfers to a web site visitor’s hard disk or browser for added functionality, or for tracking web site usage, which are able to capture and remember certain information.
We may use, and may allow certain third parties to use, cookies and other similar technologies to provide our services and to help collect data. We, or third parties, may use session cookies or persistent cookies. Session cookies only last for the specific duration of your visit and are deleted when you close your browser. Persistent cookies remain on your device’s hard drive until you delete them or they expire. Different cookies are used to perform different functions, which we explain below:
- Essential cookies. Some cookies are essential in order to enable you to move around our Sites and use their features, such as accessing secure areas of the Sites. Without these cookies, we cannot enable appropriate content based on the type of device you are using.
- Browsing and functionality.These cookies allow us to remember choices you make on the Sites, such as your preferred language, and provide enhanced, more personalized features.
Most internet browsers enable you to control cookies by blocking all cookies or receiving a warning before a cookie is stored. Please refer to your browser instructions or help screen to learn more about these functions. If you turn cookies off, some features may be disabled, but it shouldn’t affect your experience with our website. For further details, you can visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org.
Like many websites, our Website does not respond to “Do Not Track” signals from your browser.
SHARING AND DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
GBC may share or disclose personal information as follows:
- To register you for an event or conference. For example, if you choose to attend one of our conferences or other educational event, we may share your personal information with third party services to enable us to provide such service to you.
- To process a request made by you. For example, if you apply for a position with GBC, we may share your information with third-party service providers in order to analyze and respond to your request for employment.
- To comply with applicable laws and regulations, such as to cooperate with public and government authorities, which may include authorities outside your country of residence.
- In connection with a sale or business transaction, when we have a legitimate interest to do so. This includes, any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or disposition of our business. Recipients may include, for example, an acquiring entity and its advisors.
- We may also share your information with third parties when you request we do so.
SPECIAL NOTIFICATION FOR INDIVIDUAL CALIFORNIA USERS
If you are a California resident, you may request information regarding our disclosure of your personal information to third parties for direct marketing purposes pursuant to California Civil Code Section 1798.83. GBC does not disclose your Personal Information for direct marketing purposes.
CHOICES AND ACCESS
You can access, change, restrict the use or delete your Personal Information. If you would like to request to review, correct, update, object to, restrict, or delete your Personal Information you provided to us, or if you would like a copy of your Personal Information for purposes of making it available to another company (to the extent applicable law provides you with this right to data portability), please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will respond to your request in accordance with applicable law.
In your request, please indicate clearly what Personal Information you would like to have changed, restricted or deleted from our database or otherwise. For your protection, we may need to verify your identity before considering your request.
We retain Personal Information for as long as needed or permitted in light of the purpose(s) for which it was obtained and consistent with applicable law. If you request we delete your Personal Information from our database, please note we may still retain your Personal Information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, regulatory requests, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
THIRD PARTY LINKS
CROSS-BORDER DATA TRANSFER
Our Website is not intended for children under 16. We do not knowingly collect personal information from anyone under 16 years of age. If you are under 16, please do not submit any personal information to us.
Patrick G. Burns
Greer, Burns & Crain, Ltd.
300 S. Wacker Drive Suite 2500
Chicago, Illinois 60606